when words fail me, which is often, I paint. When words work for me and are available on time, I am surprised.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Last Word

Somehow the thoughts that branched from leaf to leaf and limb to limb while I was getting ready to leave the house yesterday, stumbled upon this. All of the times that I was late picking Avi up from school when he was younger. The times when I was working in my salon and would send absolute strangers (to him), to pick Avi up at the bus stop 2 miles out of town. "How will he know I'm not some kind of pedophile kidnapper?" my friend Jason asked. I sent him to the busstop with a note from me, telling him it was safe to get into the car. He never got angry, he'd make fun of my inability to be on time. He was superior to me, he was consistent. This is what I was thinking about yesterday morning while I was washing my hair. A few minutes later Avi called me on the phone; "Can you give me a ride to campus this afternoon?"
I had several hours, I said "sure".
I was late. I was stuck doing 20 in a forty five, the people at the bank held me up, I couldn't find his girlfriends' apartment. . . He was an hour late to class. He was SO MAD!!! I tried to make apologies, he stonewalled me. I hate when people are mad at me. I made a face that held all my self punishment in. He looked at me and said, "Take off that grandma face. You look just like her." he was referring to my mother, he knew those words would put me in my place. Touche' Avi

1 comment:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Ouch! That had to hurt?